Family

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It Takes a Soul

Enjoyed a piece on KWCH last night about the Cimmaron National Grasslands west of Dodge City. As the ranger they interviewed gave some facts about the grasslands -- which were created following the dust bowl to restore the land to its natural state and keep the soil from blowing -- images of the endless prairie appeared on the screen. Sights we've all witnessed and loved through the years: a sun setting over vast expanses, the gentle waves of tall, native grasses stretching as far as the eye can see, and prairie weeds mingling amid colorful wildflowers.

Right before the interview ended, the ranger said that the true beauty of the prairie is within the eye of the beholder, adding, "Anyone can love the mountains, but it takes a soul to love the prairie."

It struck a chord deep within me and his words have been with me most of today as I think of the place I call home. No, not everyone appreciates it. No, not everyone thinks it is beautiful. But those of us who view it with the heart -- not just the eye -- see it for what it truly is.

Living.

Breathing.

Land.

It's beautiful. And I'm thankful my soul lets me see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home